Thoughts from the mind of a 15 year old Freshman in High School

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Maternal Dependency

I do not know how I could live without my mother. She edits my papers, packs my bags, makes my plans, cooks my meals, and reminds me of all my responsibilities. She keeps me going on the right track. I thank her for it as much as I can because I know she won't be there forever. I'm heading off to college in just 3 1/2 years. Okay, so I do have a little while longer with her. But at some point I'm to have to learn how to be self sufficient. My love and dependency for my mother is so large that when she leaves us for only a few days, I do not only miss her, but am completely lost without her. She ends up having to make lists so not only me, but my dad will know everything that we need to do. She holds the little strings to control every move our family makes. What this made me realize is that most families are very similar to our same situation. Women may be known to be the stay-at-home mom, and it makes them look like the typical female who needs the man to put food on the table. The truth of the matter is, the men wouldn't know how to put the food on the table if the women didn't tell them how. Most women know that they can work and support their family if needed, but they are making a sacrifice for their children. Each one of them is strong for making such a bold choice and devoting their life to a loved one. I plan to make myself a very strong woman and work just as hard as any other man out there and be able to support myself. But when it comes time to settle down, I will have pride in making the decision, if need be, to stay at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoever wrote this is an incredibly sensitive and thoughtful child who has an insight beyond her years. Your sensitivity and understanding of the roles people play in your life and the impact that they have had is a unique perspective for anyone of any age. The ability to use it as a tool for your further development is why you have achieve so much in your life and are truly an exceptional person!

Unknown said...

Your incredible, but then you always have been. I know I tell you this all the time....my friends and those who know you always tell me how special you are. I know alot of who you are is a reflection of your experiences but how wonderful that you know your mother (and of course I think your father too) are amazing at parenting. We would love you so much even if you were not so amazing but it fills our hearts every day to know you are in our lives, even at a distance.
Admiringly from Florida