Thoughts from the mind of a 15 year old Freshman in High School

Monday, May 4, 2009

Does Shakespeare Believe in love?

I want to trust that Shakespeare believed in love. In his classic play of Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare writes about how love conquers all. It is hard to understand how he couldn’t believe. I refuse to accept that he was never in love himself. In A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Shakespeare portrays a mockery of love and everything that it constitutes. Demetrius never loved Helena, but he actually despised her. This small potion-like liquid corrupts him into loving her. Shakespeare has Hermia and Lysander fall in love with each other. Yet, the smallest drop of juice from a flowery plant can take that all away. Hermia is destined to marry someone else making reality reject the thought that true love can in fact conquer all. Lysander falls in and out of love with Hermia after he's been charmed by a fairy, making this new love he feels for her different from the first. The love they share isn’t legitimate anymore. This new form of love created by Cupid’s tulip isn’t real, but actually a mockery of true love. It makes me question what I believe Shakespeare may be thinking. I question about if he ever did love another, or if he believed in the idea at all. I weigh the pro's and con's of this debate and know I will never come to a conclusion. I only have hope that his beautiful poetry was influenced by someone he loved, making it all the more beautiful.

No comments: